Thursday, November 4, 2010

Welcome to "Rita's Ready Set Create." I will be showing you how to create projects from start to finish as well as offering some tips on things such as how to choose your paper (for example---all paper used for today's cards is from the same line, American Crafts "jolly". This way everything is guranteed to match!


Join me here on CMIT's blog the first Friday of every month, to see what new thing I've come up with for you to recreate at home! :)

So, since Christmas is right around the corner, and everyone has to start thinking about getting their Christmas cards done and in the mail (at least you should be), I thought this would be a good place to start. So today we are making mini Christmas cards!!!





Why mini Christmas cards? Well for starters you can make 3 cards from 1 sheet of 12" x 12" paper, all cards are cut to 4" x 8" (4" x 4" when folded). And #2, I LOVE this QuicKutz "jolly" die set, but they are "mini's".....so mini cards seemed to be the right choice.



So for today's cards ALL paper is from American Crafts "jolly" line, ALL dies are QuicKutz "jolly" die set----this is the simplest way to make sure everything coordinates, use the same line of products for all!





All of my supplies, except for the ribbon and button used on card 3, are all from CMIT online e-bay store.

Card 1

Cut paper topper to 3 3/4" x 3 3/4. " I used the same paper for my "hohoho" as I did for my card base, and cut my holly leaves and berries from the "tag" piece of cardstock, (since these are mini dies, they fit).

Card 2

I cut 2 of the ornament dies. I glued one to the card and used pop-up dots to add the 2nd one directly over the first, leaving the "hanger piece" unglued on both. I then added my ribbon, through the hanger.

Card 3

This is my favorite by the way! :) And the one that is different in design. For this one cut your front piece to 4" x 4" but cut the "roof" piece to 4" x 5 1/2" because this will be the back of the card. "Trim" the scallops on what will be the front of the roof, to give it a gingerbread look, then fold it over the front, to make the actual roof and glue it at the "roof" top. Do not glue the whole piece, this way you can curl up the "scallops" slightly at the bottom. I added the "gingerbread people" die at the bottom of the card, and put "prima" pearls on the girls. Note on the pearls: If you buy a "line" of pearls or the "Swirl" design ones, you can cut them apart with an exacto knife and use what you like on various projects. This is what I did here. For a finishing touch I added some ribbon and a button (with hemp) to the top of the card.

Card 4

Just like in card 1, you cut the topper to 3 3/4" x 3 3/4," and glue to the card. I cut a line of light blue from the "striped" paper and added it to the topper, then I added my "be jolly" die on top of that. For something different I cut out an extra "spiked hair snowman" and using pop-up dots, I added him on top of the original one on the card, bottom right.

Well I hope you've enjoyed today's tutorial and that it has inspired you to make your own mini Christmas cards. Using today's method of 4" x 4" cards, you can make a dozen Christmas cards from 4 sheets of 12" x 12" paper and whatever accent paper you choose. I recommend buying a kit of paper, like I used, to make sure they will match. To see the cute and festive holiday Gingerbread House tin I created from this same paper pack visit my blog at http://mycreationsbymy.blogspot.com/

Thank you for stopping by my first Friday of the Month tutorial, I look forward to seeing you next month.
Be sure and join us for ATC Tuesday on November 9th!!!! :)

Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment